Monday, July 21, 2008

The API Remoting Web Service is not working

So, ever since I upgraded from WSUS 2.x to 3.x, I have been seeing this error in my Application log. I couldn't find anything broken, I just kept seeing this error. After countless searches on Google and many hours wasted--I gave up. This morning I decided I really didn't like this error, so I decided to giver 'er another go.

  • I checked all the File Permissions as directed by TechNet
  • I checked all the Registry permissions as directed by TechNet
  • I checked all the ISS permissions as directed by TechNet
  • I restarted IIS, Reset IIS, & restarted the WSUS Service
  • I ran wsusutil.exe checkhealth
Still nothing.

As I'm staring at the values in this registry key:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Update Services\Server\Setup

I notice that the String "HostHeader" contained the external DNS FQDN instead of the Internal. I figure "that's odd", so I change it to the local DNS FQDN, host.domain.local. after all, I'm only running WSUS internally. Sure, I host our .com zone internally so things like OWA can be accessed from inside without having to give users yet another URL, but I figured that in this case, WSUS should be using the local FQDN no matter what.

SUCCESS!!

I went from basically seeing the Event ID 12012 about 4 or 5 times a day to not seeing it at all. Whowuddathunkit?

"The simplest things are ALWAYS DNS!"

8 comments:

babul said...

Thanks for this!! I'm sure you saved me a few hours of frustration!

Trendkill said...

oh god thank you!!!

you're definately right. the simple problems are always dns related.

Ronald Nissley said...

Does the HostHeader REG_SZ need a value? Can't it simply be the empty string?

Mark said...

@Ronald Nissley I am not sure as I didn't think to try that. I saw a value and simply replaced the value without looking back :-)

If it works that way for you, please post an additional comment.

Thank you!

FireStrife said...

I'm having same issue as you. I found the HostHeader's string empty, filled it in as you suggested and no more EventID 12012 thereafter!

Cage said...

Was having the same issues as everyone else here. Only difference is I did not have a HostHeader string value under that registry key. I created it manually, rebooted and away it went! Thank you very much for this. I have been fighting with it for days. What a relief!

Sam said...

WOW, after weeks of searching the solution here. I knew from bottom of my heart that it was the domain migration but had no idea what else to change because the rest was working fine. You Saved me lot of time that I was still going to invest on this

Thanks,
Sam
NOC SNR Analyst

Mark said...

Glad this was helpful to you, Sam. I am actually surprised that this is the only published solution (at least that I had found).